Baby activity centres provide parents with a fun way to keep their precious ones occupied. They aren’t only toys though; many of them also have an educational aspect! Most importantly, they come with locking features so that your little one stays safe in one place.
Did you know that the United Nations High Commission for Human Rights considers “play” as a right of every child. Playing, after all, has huge roles in the development of our little ones. For starters, it helps with their movement and the growth of their motor skills.
All in all, play contributes to a child’s cognitive, physical, and emotional growth. Plus, it gives mums and dads a great way to completely engage with their babies.
We reviewed the top baby activity centre brands and products available to help you make your pick.
Table of Contents
What Are the Best Baby Activity Centres?
The best baby activity centre products out on the market right now to buy are:
- Skip Hop Silver Lining Cloud Activity Centre – Best Baby Activity Centre for Entertainment and Educational Activities
- Mamas & Papas Baby Snug Seat and Activity Tray – Best Baby Activity Centre for Baby Boys
- Fisher-Price 3-in-1 Spin and Sort Activity Centre – Best Movable Baby Activity Centre
- Baby Einstein Neptune’s Ocean Discovery Activity Jumper – Best Multi-Language Baby Activity Centre
- Fisher-Price Roaring Rainforest Jumperoo – Best Baby Activity Centre for Safe Play
Now that you know what our top picks are, let’s see what each one has to offer.
1. Skip Hop Silver Lining Cloud 3-Stage Activity Centre
- Age: From 4 months
- Use recommendation: For babies who can hold their head upright and unaided
- Maximum baby weight/size: 11 kg or 76 cm
- Materials used: Polyester, plastic, and metal
- Activity centre weight: 6.8 kg
- Size: 78.7 x 78.7 x 47 cm
- 3-Stage Feature: Swivel, bounce, and play; cruising; sturdy toddler table
The cute and cheery Skip Hop grows with your baby, with its 3-stage feature. The seated bouncer swivels, providing your little one with a 360-degree view. It comes with 25 developmental activities, plus 5 super fun toys, including piano keys.
2. Mamas & Papas Baby Snug Seat and Activity Tray
- Age: From 3 months (so long as the baby can hold their head up without help)
- Marketed for: Male babies
- Materials used: Easy to clean moulded plastic
- Activity centre weight: 2.53 kg
- Size: 45 x 53.5 x 24 cm
What we like the most about this activity centre is it’s easy to clean design and convertibility. As your little one grows, you can take out the removable activity tray to convert it into a supportive seat. It also comes with eight interactive features, although the toys are mostly for baby boys.
3. Fisher-Price 3-in-1 Spin and Sort Activity Centre
- Age: For infants who can support their head unaided
- Maximum baby weight: 11.3 kg
- Material type: Plastic
- Activity centre weight: 4.46 kg
- Size: 61.5 x 61.5 x 55.6 cm
- Care and storage: Seat pad is machine-washable; legs are removable
- 3-in-1 Spin & Sort Activity Center: Infant entertainer; sit-at floor play; toddler play table
This activity centre boasts over 10 fun ways to keep your little one busy with hands-on play. It also features four moveable activities so your little one can cruise and learn at the same time. It comes with a static seat, but know that Fisher-Price also makes some of the best baby bouncers in the UK.
4. Baby Einstein Neptune’s Ocean Discovery Activity Jumper
- Age: For infants who can sit up unassisted
- Maximum baby weight: 11.3 kg
- Maximum baby height: 76.2 cm
- Material type: Machine-washable fabric seat; easy-to-clean plastic
- Activity centre weight: 3.15 kg
- Size: 81.3 x 81.3 x 84.2 cm
- Adjustability: 4 different height positions
- Entertainment features: 9 different toys
What we like about this is its colourful design that gives babies their first sneak peek into the wonderful underwater world. It also serves as a bouncer, so your little one can bounce the day away inside the 360-degree swivelling seat filled with toys. Plus, it gives an intro to numbers and colours in three different languages: English, Spanish, and French!
5. Fisher-Price Roarin’ Rainforest Jumperoo
- Age: Between 6 and 12 months
- Activity centre weight: 8 kg
- Size: 19 x 61 x 59.5 cm
- Materials used: Machine-washable and dryer-safe seat pad; plastic; steel frame
- Entertainment features: 12 rainforest toys
- Extra safety elements: Soft spring covers to keep tiny baby fingers safe
Another great activity centre that converts into a jumperoo, the Fisher-Price Roaring Rainforest has everything, from music to lights to sounds that mimic forest creatures. The sturdy and free-standing steel frame is great for safety, although it does make the centre heavy and a bit hard to move around. The fact that it grows along with your little one can make up for its heavyweight, though.
Essential Features to Look for in Baby Activity Centres
The primary features to consider when looking to buy a baby activity centre are: age appropriateness, stability, and safety. These are the same features you should also look for when considering the best jumperoos.
Age appropriateness is important as some activity centres are only suitable for ages 1 and older. Other activity centres are made for younger babies, and these come with a seat designed to support the lighter weight of an infant.
Also, keep in mind that all toys in the UK must satisfy the Toys (Safety) Regulations 2011. As activity centres for babies are a collection of toys, they should pass these standards too. Be sure that the one you buy has the British Standard kitemark, the CE mark, or the lion mark.
To get the most out of the activity centre, consider one that has a convertible feature too. This will let you transform it into an activity table or even a walker! Some may even convert into a rocker or a bouncer, helping keep your little one entertained.
Our Final Pick
Of these five baby activity centres, we feel that the best one is the Skip Hop Silver Lining Cloud 3-Stage Activity Centre. It comes loaded with educational and fun activities, so they’re great for mums, dads, and of course, babies. The piano keys are a plus, as it makes for a great introduction to learning music.
If you’re looking for more guides on baby toys, walkers, and anything related to baby products, we have more! Please feel free to check out all our buyer guides for baby must-haves.